PROJECT 2 ILLUSTRATION POSTER

19/5/2023 - 1/6/2023 / Week 7 - Week 9
Adriena Tan Yan Zi  / 0351236
Illustration and Visual Narrative / Bachelor of Design in Creative Media / Taylors University
Project 2 Illustration Poster


Lectures 

Week 7 class was canceled and to be replaced while 
Week 8 is Independent learning week. 
Week 9 was submission week hence lectures for week 9 will be recorded in the next blog.

Instruction


Task

For the MyTIGER poster, we were asked to pick a theme from the SDG goals and illustrate a poster based on these goals. The poster will be then submitted to be a part of the Maybank competition. 

1. Research 

Tagline: Starting with being aware of our daily behaviours, we can preserve the largest and most significant ecosystem on Earth, the life below water. 

https://sdgs.un.org/topics/oceans-and-seas

HOW to go about this movement:
Beginning from the very daily actions of while carrying out activities, back to square one instead of developing, start conserving and protecting by being mindful of our actions. Thinking about how your actions contribute to the ecosystem instead of carelessly carrying out those activities. 

IMPACTS of his movement

  • Raise awareness in the society about their actions
  • Encourage the people to be ethical in their actions 
  • Especially contributing to the ocean 
  • Balance out the under the water ecosystem
  • reduce the negative anthropogenic impacts on the marine environment 
  • Help poor, indigenous peoples, and vulnerable groups 

MALAYSIA: 

  • Malaysia has major challenges to overcome before achieving the targets for SDG 14. 
  • largely kept the proportion of fish caught from overexploited or collapsed stock at sustainable level.


TARGETS to achieve with this movement

  • Reduce marine pollution
  • Protect and restore ecosystems
  • Reduce ocean acidification
  • Sustainable fishing
  • Conserve coastal and marine areas
  • End subsidies contributing to overfishing
  • Increase the economic benefits from sustainable use of marine resources


Reference:
https://sdg-for-malaysian-states-sdsn.hub.arcgis.com/pages/sdg-14-life-below-water
https://sdgs.un.org/topics/oceans-and-seas
https://amcham-malaysia.glueup.com/organization/507/campaign/79673/









2. Sketches & Process

  





In the design process, I had a hard time picking what kind of art style do I want to go for to draw the turtle so I looked up multiple art styles that would work well together with the turtle. I finally found an artstyle that I'm happy to work with then went with it. I drew the turtle with falling sand at it's back indicating that time is running us and that our Earth is slowly dying by the second like the hourglass. 

I decided that after the sand was established as the ground's foundation, I would integrate cities, buildings, and even factories that had a significant impact on ocean pollution. Of course, the focal point of this poster is human irresponsible activity that has contributed to the deterioration of the ocean's condition; I depicted a person fishing with a plastic bag, which is particularly destructive to the ocean.


Reflection 

Experience

First and foremost, my experience in the illustration subject has been incredibly rewarding. Through hands-on projects and creative assignments, I have been able to refine my artistic skills and develop a unique style of my own. The process of sketching, coloring, and bringing ideas to life on paper or digitally has been both challenging and exhilarating. this project has provided me with an opportunity to push my boundaries and explore new concepts, themes, and mediums.

Observation
One of the key observations I made throughout this journey is the power of visual communication. While illustrating this project, I have learned a unique ability to convey complex ideas and emotions in a concise and captivating manner. Like a moving island on a turtle, I am quite impressed with this idea to be honest. 

Findings
I found that while working on this project, i really get to step out of comfort zone and uses the brush tool to their potential in illustrator. I discovered several brushes, although they are not the best options compared to other free illustration software out there, I still manage to overcome the challenges and create a poster that conveyed the messages that I wanted to get across which I am most delighted about. I feel like I have not explore the brush tool to its full potential so i will continue using and mastering this tool for future projects. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Information Design - Exercises, FLIP Topics & Practical

3D Modeling - Exercises

Motion Graphics - Exercises