ILLUSTRATION AND VISUAL NARRATIVE - TASK 1/EXERCISE

4/4/2023 - 19/5/2023 / Week 1 - Week 7
Adriena Tan Yan Zi  / 0351236
Illustration and Visual Narrative / Bachelor of Design in Creative Media / Taylors University
Task 1 Exercises


Instructions


Task 1 : Exercise

To start off with the exercise, we were asked to practice the pen tool technique that was taught in class and create the given shapes required for this exercise using the following template. 


I have tried to created the shapes using the pen tool and the curvature tool. First of all we were asked to come up with a sketch and the silhouette of the vormator that we wanted to make so i sketched it our on a paper before transferring the idea into adobe illustrator. 


The concept of this vormator is actually a magical whale. at first I was going to create a peculiar looking monster but couldn't decide on what kind of shapes to use for the vormator. Bu then i recalled that recently I have been watching the boy group plave and one of their member is a human dolphin which also leads we to get inspired by Shilyly's vtuber model, she is a magical orca. From there I got the idea to make a mystical whale with magic. 


This is Yejun from the Korean boygroup named Plave. Yejun (예준) is a South Korean singer under VLAST. He is a member of the virtual boy group Plave.



Shylily (also known as Lily) is a female independent VTuber based in the Netherlands. She has been on Twitch since 29 August 2015. She made her own model before her new 2D re-debut on 10 January 2022.A mere innocent child, playing in the winter forest on top of a freshly frozen river. When suddenly, the still thin ice gave in and left the little one to be devoured by the dark, freezing cold of the watery abyss. While sinking into the deep depths and slowly losing herself, she vaguely spotted a faint glow in the distance. As she continued to slip in and out of consciousness, the light seemed to come and closer. Brighter and brighter.
 The strange glow seems to originate from... her? The deep dark depths did not seem that... dark? After all? She felt weirdly comfortable just... floating there... There she was, now being one with the icy waters. Destined to be a guiding light to those who lose their way in the dark.


This is the outline of the Orca/ Whale that I made. 


Final Design 


Meet Aqua, a unique whale who was born without knowing who her mother was. However, the whales and orcas of the ocean adopted her and nurtured her as one of their own. She never got along with the other baby whales and orcas since her magic became more prominent as she grew larger. While she is glad that they took her in, she has a strong urge to explore the ocean and put her magic to the test, and she feels she is destined for more than just staying where she has always been. It's time for this little whale to discover the wonders of the sea and accomplish her destiny. 


Illustration Type 

Inspiration
For this exercise we were asked to use the Pictionary generator to generate 2 words so that we can create our illustration type in Adobe Illustrator. We were also told that we could try multiple times until we got the 2 words that we are happy to work with. I tried a few times at the generator website and finally got one that I have an inkling of idea as to what I can work with. The words are Flamingo and Catfish, the lecturer informed us that we could either combine the words or make separate illustration for each of the type, therefore, I decided to separate them. 






The above a rough sketch of my idea that was constructed in Microsoft words that's why it looks crooked but it is enough to show what kind of idea that I am going for. I looked for some example and inspiration before I start my work. I did looked up multiple images of a flamingo and how a flamingo could be standing in a lake or riverside eating fish which is what I wanted illustrated based on my sketch. 









Design Process 


I went through the typefaces available in Adobe Illustrator and finally picked that I feel like it sit right with the word flamingo.


Following the sketch, I wanted to make the curved part of the letter 'f' to be the flamingo head facing down hunting for fish in the river. 


At this stage I change the colour of the word and used the pen tool to add on shapes to the existing word flamingo. Layered some layers of the puddle shape to make it looks like it's standing in the puddle. Made the 'g' to be the flamingo's standing leg. 


Then, I added some more smaller details to the design to refine them with a little adjustments here and there to tie to all together. Using the same techniques as i did with the flamingo, I incorporated the catfishes into the scene to complete the illustration. 


Final Design 



Reflection

The general experience I gained from these 2 exercises are quite pleasant considering that i is much fun and there are challenges and requirements to be met while allowing our creative juices flow. To be honest, it wasn't rainbows and candies the whole way through. In the beginning, I was quite overwhelmed by the introduction whole new design software that I knew nothing about and so many new tools that we have to master in order for us to carry our tasks. Luckily for me, I have my classmates and friends to help me when I was lost so that I am able to catch up with he new techniques that we were learning the following weeks. My idea execution in my opinion was not the best but considering the limited skills as a beginner that I am. 

My observations from these 2 exercises, I have learned to be more exposed to many more design there are out there, all sorts of them to be inspired and recreate my own design. I will keep broad out my exploration with designs and pay more attention to the little design surrounding me. Illustrator is very hard to get a hang off but I worked through the challenges and overwhelming feeling through the first few weeks. 

My findings are that I find that the pen tool is really a tool that I can master and that I can create lots of great design with it. I should also learn how to utilise the 3D tool properly because it would come in handy while design for lots of things especially for my club posters and promotional posts. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Information Design - Exercises, FLIP Topics & Practical

3D Modeling - Exercises

Motion Graphics - Exercises