PROJECT 4 - ABSTRACT MOTION

11/07/2024 - 25/07/2024 / Week 12 - Week 14
Adriena Tan Yan Zi / 0351236
Motion Graphics/ Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
PROJECT 4 - ABSTRACT MOTION


Instructions


DESCRIPTION:

1. Students will synthesis the knowledge gained in task 1, 2 and 3 for application in task 4. Students are to create an theme based abstract motion graphic video that consist a good audio visual say it in 3D/2D, mix media or any experimental visual output that has strong theme.


2. Students describe and reflect on their competencies within the design studio context, supported by evidence. Reflect on how to empathize with others within group settings, interact positively within a team and foster stable and harmonious relationships for productive teamwork. The reflective writing is part of the *TGCP.


REQUIREMENTS:

1. Students are to use information for any proposed channel (*existing or fictional)

• create mood-board that reflects their concept/idea

• storyboard

• animatics

• explore appropriate audio to uplift the motion tempo


2. *The Taylor’s Graduate Capabilities Portfolio (TGCP) is a document that collates all assessments produced in a module and reflects a student’s acquisition of the Module Learning Outcomes and Taylor’s Graduate Capabilities. Each student develops an ePortfolio, a web-based portfolio in the form of a personal academic blog. The ePortfolio is developed progressively for all modules taken throughout Semesters 1 to 6 and culminates with a final Portfolio in printed form produced in the final semester. The ePortfolio must encapsulate the acquisition of Programme Learning Outcomes and Taylor’s Graduate Capabilities to showcase the distinctiveness and identity of the student as a graduate of the programme.


SUBMISSION:

1. Students will start with thumbnail sketches and test a wide range of conceptual ideas through digitization using the appropriate software. Students conclude by selecting and presenting their proposed channel bumper interpretation in the instructed format/s.

• Compiled work in progress in slide (*mood-board, style guide, sketches, storyboard, technical processes as posted in e-portfolio).

• Final output will include a 30 – 60 sec video (*.mp4, h2.64, 16:9

1920 X 1080, 25 fps, ACC, 48kHz, uploaded to YouTube channel)

2. Submit the e-portfolio’s URL.


PROJECT 4 - ABSTRACT MOTION

Mood-board, style guide, sketches, storyboard

PROJECT 4 - ABSTRACT MOTION by Adriena Tan


Illustrating in Illustrator and Krita 






I had the idea to make the eyes blinking in the dark as if it was waking up from a sleep which is what I did here and when it falls back a sleep the sparkle would appear. I even illustrated the ray of light that was needed to indicate the magic at work. 






Here i am just illustrating the sweet dreams that I traveled through which was usually in my favourite colours pink, purple and blue with floating clouds. I want the viewers to be able to feel the joy and easiness when they lay eyes on this illustration as the dreams would bring the same joy. 




In my idea of a nightmare, it means looking at a sky or a surrounding full of dark clouds that gives off a sense of eeriness with the full moon shining through where most of the most terrifying creatures arose where we call witching hour. 






Illustrating the universe with is usually depicted as the outer space galaxy which is what i illustrated and made sure to ass the supernova. 



 






I had to illustrate the front and back of a tarot card to I had to sketch out the design beforehand which I did in my storyboard. I ran into a little trouble choosing the colour palette for my tarot card design trying to figure out what type of colour would suit blue and also match the high priestess design that I have illustrated. 


Animating in After Effects


Animating the blinking eye I had learned to link the eye ball to the eye white in order to have it move inside like a real eyeball. 




Animating this scene, I had to make to the clouds moves in and out naturally which also means having them fade in consecutively. 





I had idea that I want the splash of waves and colours to move as it would in a real outer space, I tried using the puppet tool but found the movement to be not consistent enough. Do in the end, i used the cc shear tool in order to achieve the effect that I wanted.



Animating the cards were straightforward and I did explored and used the 3D view thing in order to make some of the elements move the way I visualised it. For instance, the star will have to turn 360 degrees. 



For the high priestess, I was planning to have the card flip around and fade in. Another feature that I added which is using the puppet tool, I made her hair move making the whole card aesthetic more magical like she's moving in the card. 





Lastly for the eyes, I did the same linking method and made sure i have the eyes too look around before bringing in the star indicating there's where the psychic power come in. 


Editing in Premiere Pro







Final animation


Feedback

Week 13: The concept seems nice but he suggested to add a quote at the back to make the message more clear. 

Week 14: I showed him the individual clips and he approved. He reinforce on asking me to add the quote at the end.



Reflection 

Working on this project was enjoyable, especially during the first half when I was illustrating everything. Creating the scenes and cards allowed me to tap into my creative side and explore the magical fantasy aesthetic that I love. Most of the illustrations were within my comfort zone, as I'm familiar with this theme, making the process a bit quicker. However, I spent a significant amount of time figuring out the perfect color combinations for the tarot cards I was designing. Achieving colors that worked harmoniously while still looking like authentic tarot cards was challenging. When animating in After Effects, I frequently had to search for tutorials to learn new techniques and achieve the exact animation I envisioned. Overall, I'm quite happy with the animation and feel I achieved most of my vision. If I had more time, I believe I could further improve the animation.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Information Design - Exercises, FLIP Topics & Practical

3D Modeling - Exercises

Motion Graphics - Exercises