Typography - Task 3: Type Design and Communication

28/5/2023 - /6/2023 / Week  8 - Week
Adriena Tan Yan Zi / 0351236
Typography / Bachelor of Design in Creative Media / Taylors University
Task  3 / Type Design and Communication


Lectures

All lectures has been completed. Please refer to here.


Instructions



Type Design and Communication 

1. Writing calligraphy / Letters 
For this task we were asked to practice calligraphy on paper with different mediums. Before we start doing our work digitally. the lecturer wanted us to understand and experience the fundamentals of calligraphy  and how fonts were formed by exploring with the mediums of our choice. Initially i went with the mediums, ballpoint pen, marker, highlighter, gel pen and paintbrush. However, I decided to change it soon because there was enough variation for me to work with. So I redid the first task with highlighter, artline permanent, gel pen, caligraphy brush pen, paintbrush.  After that we, were asked to change the angle of each nib and practice writing the letterforms.


Figure 1.1 Practice and final outcome of 5 pen nibs 
   


 

Figure 1.2 Practice with different angles 5 different nibs



Figure 1.3 Practicing letterforms with the chosen tool


2. Visual references 




Figure 2.1 References from Pinterest


3. Deconstruction 
Figure 3.1 First deconstruction: Adobe Caslon Pro Bold 

In the first deconstruction which I did it on the typeface, Adobe Caslon Pro Bold were the letters n, p, t. 


n: 
  • The left stem has a different width with the right stem hence the different colour on the 2 stems.
  • The left stem with serifs width are also different from the right stem. 
  • The arcs are the same. 


p: 
  • The width on stem is the same as the n stem. 
  • The stem with the serif, however is different width compare to the n one so the letters are not constant. 
  • The overall width of the entire letter p is not same as the letter n. 
  • The arcs and curves are constant. 

t: 
  • The letter t's stem width is unlike the one from the with of p and n. 
  • The overall width is also unlike the rest of the letters. 
  • curves and arcs are different from p and n. 

Figure 3.2 Second deconstruction: Rockwell Extra Bold Regular

n: 
  • all the thickness of the stem in n is the same. 
  • thickness of the stems with serifs are identical. 
  • arc is constant


p: 
  • the thickness of the stem is the same as n. 
  • thickness with serif is the same. 
  • serifs lengths are the same. 
  • arcs and curves are larger compare to n. 
  • overall thickness has a slight difference. 

t: 
  • stem thickness constant. 
  • arc and curves are the same and the letter n. 
  • serif is slightly longer than n and p. 




4. Digitalising the written letters 

Mr. Vinod introduces us to a few tools and we can resort to while creating our digitalised letters. Those tools are the pen tool, brush tool and some basic shapes and knife tool to add design to our letters. With the practised demo version of our letters, we were asked to place it in adobe illustator as a reference, no design just basics shapes and strokes to reuse them for other letters.


Figure 4.1 Basic strokes 


Figure 4.2 First attempt on digitalising 

I find it slightly hard are to stick to only one tool so I jumped back and forth with the tools that I am more comfortable with which is the brush and the pencil tool. My first attempt got feedback from Mr. Vinod saying that some of the strokes are too wobbly and that I can try using the pen tool like he demonstrated but I couldn't catch on to every single details that when he uses the shortcut keys on my keypad. However, I don't want to keep him only helping me for too long as he needs to assists the rest of the class to I just remain quiet. 




Figure 4.3 First refinement 

For the first attempt, I tried to stick more to only using the brush and the pen tool. Mostly the brush tools for a few strokes then reuse the strokes for other letters to stay consistent. I did meddle around with the tools going back and forth with them until I found a consistent style and stroke that I am happy, I also took inspiration from the example Mr. Vinod shown in my ai work. Personally, i quite like how the letter g and y looked the most then tried to recreated the same vibe with the rest of the alphabets. 



Figure 4.4 Second refinement 

Second attempt, i tried to round some of the edges to see how it would look like and whether I would like it. I find that the change i made to the type made it look cute so i decided to keep the changes. However, it doesn't look consistent enough so I made further changes to it. 



5. Putting the fonts into Fontlab  

5.1 Making symbols 

After, I finish making the fonts, I found out that we're supposed to do the exclamation mark, the comma, period and hashtag. I tried to stick with the bubbly roundness of my type while making the symbols. Initially, I wanted to make my hashtag lines straight and not slanted but we got feedback from sir saying that we have to make the lines slanted so I readjust the angle which leads to this final result.




5.2 Inserting the fonts into Fontlab 

After all the refinement and making of the symbols, I smack the words into Fontlab. Initially, I faced an issue where I can't paste the letters into fontlab from illustrator. Therefore, it took me a little longer than usual to do the work, clueless whether this issue is cause by illustrator or is it just a Fontlab bug. In Fontlab we were asked to determine the x-height, ascender, descender, baseline to make sure that the font size is constant when we type into the new metrix window. 


5.3 Before and after kerning

After putting each of the letters in which I also added a few more font like o, c and l. Then, I notice that there are kerning in the new matrix window to be done here and there. I went ahead and did the kerning until I'm satisfied that the spaces are even and pleasing to the eyes. 



6. Poster 

Moving on from the Fontlab process, we were asked to create a poster with all the given words in A4 size, no graphical elements, in grayscale.  



6.1 The first attempt 

In this first attempt, I didn't know that we are not allowed to use graphical elements. However, i was thinking that the circles would portray bubbles to suit the font bur was then dismissed because of the elements used. I took me a few tries to get my bubble word into Adobe Illustrator because the Fontlab didn't save my font under the font name that I wanted so there was that struggle. 



6.2 Second attempt 

Going into the second phase which i tried to make the poster simple with the graphical element. But, the more i look at the, it doesn't seem to be giving impact. In the end, I needed to reword on my poster as I just found out that we have to include all the letters given in the Module information. 



6.3 Third attempt 


Finally I came to the end and found a phrase that has all the letter we needed to include and did this. I took some inspiration from a friend's work that was sitting next to me and asked for several opinions until I came to a result with different colours in the grayscale. After getting a feedback from Mr. Vinod, he suggested me to change the background into black 95% and try not to have too much colour different. I was pretty happy with the layout and the colour scheme and so I stick with this as the end result. 




7. Final work 


Figure 7.1 New Metric Window with Sentence Screengrab 


Figure 7.2 Final Construction of Bubble (Regular)(JPEG)




Figure 7.3 Final poster "Karma pay a great price, yet I gain





Figure 7.4 Final Construction of "Bubble"(Regular)(PDF)



 

Figure 7.5 Figure 7.3 Final poster "Karma pay a great price, yet I gain (PDF) 





8. Font Tester 

Test my font:


Feedback 

Week 9:

General Feedback: We should try to update and fix our past mistakes from the past tasks or the existing marks will be deducted. Selecting and digitising our work in class.
Specific Feedback: Try to stick to pen tool and shapes to keep the design constant for each letter. Some letters exceeded the guidlines so try to keep it within the guidelines.

Week 10:

General feedback: Sometimes starting over again is faster than trying to adjust and fix our old work. Specific Feedback: Sir asked me to make everything straight and smooth, start making small refinement from there once everything is smooth. Make minor but noticable refinement, proceed with the pencil tool and have backup shapes for each letter.

Week 12:

General feedback: Construct and make changes to our to type poster. Put into preview so that other classmates can walk around and refer.
Specific feedback: Try not to have too many colours in my poster, can trun my background into 95% black. Font colours change it to white, no graphical elements and we must include all the words given.

Reflection 

Experience: Through the experience I gained from this task, I learned the most from this task and found this task to be the most fun. We get to express our creativity and I get to have a taste of making a design font that I like. For the longest time, i always wanted to created a font that resemble bubbles or balloons and in this task I finally got to do that which was fun. After creating my own font, it made me so happy to get to play with it and even use it in the poster. 

Observations: My observations are that through the font deconstruction process, not all official font or the most well known font is not always perfect. It has flaws and that what makes it a design. While making my own font, I find the process very detailed oriented so even minor refinements cause impact to the to the vibe of the entire font style. 

Findings: Out of all the task, I find this task requires the most patience which i have none and honestly in the progress, I have so many breakdown because Mr. Vinod does not seem to like my font style and I am not too fond of the changes he suggested me to make. From sketching to digitalising to putting them into Fontlab, each steps are to followed strictly and not to be skipped as it is important that would affect our final outcome. 


Further Reading 

Typography  

Figure 8.1 Typography book

Serif: A serif is the pointed ending of a stroke as in “I” or “T”. This is inspired by the letters carved on stone, using chisels. Thickness of the strokes also changes in these letter forms, like those drawn by flat brushes. 
Sans Serif:  Sans serif fonts give a modern look and is widely used in logos and symbols, packaging, signages, websites, mobile phone interfaces, gaming consoles etc.
Script: The letters imitate the feeling of calligraphic nibs, with a slant to the right and changing thickness of strokes. These fonts give a festive and personal look to the reader and are very commonly used in wedding invitations.

Anatomy of a Font 
As human body has many parts for identification like head, neck, shoulder, arms, tail, foot etc., Type Forms or Font face are also divided into parts, which we study under ‘anatomy of fonts’. Some examples you will see below: 
• Shirorekha connotes headline 
• Skandharekha, is equivalent to shoulderline 
• Padarekha means baseline 

Counter Space 
The empty space or negative space inside a letter form is called a counter. Shape of the counter varies according to the designer who creates the font.
Weight 
The amount of boldness in a stroke is called weight. Many fonts are available in different “weights”, like Thin or Light, Regular, Bold, Extra Bold (or Extra Black) etc. By changing the weight of the font, one can empasise or express the meaning of the word.
Bubble 
An unwanted ugly white space which appears between words is called a Bubble.
River 
A series of white spaces or Bubbles make an ugly white line in a paragraph, called a river. This too causes discomfort in reading.

Expressive Typography 
A designer can use fonts creatively for expressing various emotions. One can select a font which can convey an emotion or you can play around with the way you use letters. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Information Design - Exercises, FLIP Topics & Practical

3D Modeling - Exercises

Motion Graphics - Exercises